The LLAMA/NMRT New Leaders Discussion Group is an exciting new jointÂ venture between LLAMA (Library Leadership and Management Association)Â and NMRT (New Members Round Table). This newly created group is designed to provide opportunities for discussion and networking among newÂ librarians, new members of LLAMA and/or NMRT, librarians who are makingÂ career shifts, experienced leaders, and anyone interested in developing
leadership skills. Â Discussion topics are chosen based on issues ofÂ interest to the members of the group.
At this yearâ€™s Annual conference, we are interested in topics focusing onÂ â€œDeveloping Leadership Skills for Early Career Librariansâ€. We seekÂ proposals for presentation that address this topic from a variety of
angles, including (but not limited to):
- Developing leadership skills in library school. (It could be from a student or faculty perspective)
- Leadership skills and experience employers look for.
- Advice for career changers – transferring leadership skills from a different field..
- What leadership skills should one develop early in the career? and how?
- Early career leadership opportunities.
- Early career leadership development planning.
- Transitioning from early career to mid-career.
Proposals are due by April 1, 2011. Notification of acceptance will be made by May 1. Please include the following information in your proposal:
1. Your name, title, institutional affiliation (or LIS program), mailing address, phone number, and email address.
2. The title and a 200 word (max) description of your presentation. TheÂ description should clearly identify the topic of your presentation, your personal experience with this topic, and how it will contribute to theÂ professional development of new and aspiring leaders.
Keep in mind that there will be no use of technology for these presentations as they are meant to be informal in nature. Any information (notes,Â further reading, etc.) presenter/discussion leader would like to share could be posted on LLAMAâ€™s website.
Please submit proposal by email to Leo Lo (LLAMA/NMRT NLDG convener) at leo.saiho.lo at gmail dot com.