By Tristan Draper, DeKalb Public Library
As a new library employee, it is easy to feel overwhelmed by conferences and the logistics involved in attending a conference. This blog post will cover basic information about LibLearnX (LLX) so you can feel more confident when attending LLX!
What is LibLearnX?
LibLearnX stands for The Library Learning Experience. It is a collaborative learning experience that sparks conversation and new ideas within the library profession and provides networking opportunities for library professionals. This year LibLearnX will be from January 27- 30, 2023 in New Orleans at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center. LibLearnX also offers the LLX Digital Experience, a virtual option with live and on-demand sessions that are available through February 28, 2023. General information about the conference can be found here: Link to LibLearnX site.
Attendees can expect to learn, network, and celebrate. LibLearnX offers a variety of active learning experiences. Some of these experiences are: Accelerators, discussions of new and innovative ideas; the Ideas Xchange, peer conversations about trending library topics; ShopTalks, short presentations offering practical tips; and Learning Labs, action-based instruction and collaborative learning sessions aimed at addressing current issues. The full education session schedule can be found at the following link: Link to education sessions. Attendees can network by chatting with exhibitors in the LLX Marketplace, participating in interactive sessions, and attending social activities and networking breaks. Finally, celebrate colleagues, authors, books, and the library community at several awards ceremonies throughout the weekend.
Why should new ALA members attend LLX?
New library employees will benefit from attending LibLearnX because it offers excellent professional development opportunities for librarians at all career levels in a more intimate conference setting. New members of ALA can collaborate with their peers and discover solutions to challenges they face. Since LLX is highly interactive, new members will be able to expand their network in hands on learning sessions and during networking sessions.
Hotel and Travel Information
One of the greatest sources of stress surrounding conferences is the cost of travel and attendance. The ALA offers several discounts for attendees. Libraries can register four staff members and receive one complimentary registration. LIS Schools can register a group of seven students and/or faculty and receive three complimentary registrations. More information on registration costs and discounts can be found at the following link: Link to registration information. Information about hotels and transportations can be found here: Link to hotel information, Link to transportation information.
Conference Attendance Tips
Donna Hunter, Conference Marketing Specialist at the American Library Association, offers these tips to those who have not attended a conference before.
- Participants who take advantage of meeting others and building relationships will be successful in expanding their networks to include peer, mentor, and mentee relationships.
- When planning which sessions to attend, identify the sessions that will help you and your library the most, as well as sessions that speak to the future of libraries.
- While attending the conference, think about what information your team at home can most benefit from and plan to bring that information back to the library.
- Plan to report back to your manager with information on the sessions that excited you and that will benefit your career objectives or your library’s goals.
- Make sure to check out the inspiring stories on the main stage and in the LLX Studio.
- Meet with exhibitors in the LLX Marketplace to discuss your library’s needs.
We hope these tips and the above information help you have a safe, informative, and fun conference experience at LLX! Questions about LLX can be directed to the following link: Link to conference contact information.